This is unbelievable. The sequester hasn’t even kicked in and already the Obama admin is releasing hundreds of illegals from local jails and they plan on releasing thousands more, all because of the 2% sequester.
It’s really just unbelievable what this president gets away with. I bet he could order the deaths of the first born and the media would just ignore it. Ugh:
FOX NEWS – The Department of Homeland Security has started releasing hundreds of illegal immigrants held in local jails in anticipation of automatic budget cuts, in a move one Arizona sheriff called politically motivated — and dangerous.
Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu said Tuesday that Immigration and Customs Enforcement released more than 500 detainees in his county alone over the weekend. A spokesman for Babeu told FoxNews.com that ICE officials have said they plan to release a total of nearly 10,000 illegal immigrants.
The numbers, though, are in dispute. ICE officials said that it’s unclear how many ultimately might be released and that only 303 have been released from four Arizona facilities so far, though all those are in Pinal County. According to ICE, 2,280 detainees are still in custody in those facilities.
Babeu described the move as a “mass budget pardon” and suggested the administration was going to unnecessary lengths to demonstrate the impact of the so-called sequester.
“President Obama would never release 500 criminal illegals to the streets of his hometown, yet he has no problem with releasing them in Arizona. The safety of the public is threatened and the rule of law discarded as a political tactic in this sequester battle,” he said.
An ICE spokeswoman confirmed the plans without specifying how many illegal immigrants might be released.
Spokeswoman Gillian Christensen said ICE had directed field offices to make sure the “detained population” is “in line with available funding.” She stressed that ICE would continue to prosecute the cases while keeping them under supervision.
“Over the last week, ICE has reviewed several hundred cases and placed these individuals on methods of supervision less costly than detention,” she said. “All of these individuals remain in removal proceedings. Priority for detention remains on serious criminal offenders and other individuals who pose a significant threat to public safety.”
The announcement comes after DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano on Monday warned about the potential impact of the cuts. She said the department “would not be able to maintain the 34,000 detention beds as required by Congress.”
“We’re doing our very best to minimize the impacts of sequester. But there’s only so much I can do,” she said. “I’m supposed to have 34,000 detention beds for immigration. How do I pay for those?”
About The Right Scoop
Blogger extraordinaire since 2009 and the owner and Chief Blogging Officer of the most wonderful and super fantastic blog in the known and unknown universe: The Right Scoop