***UPDATE: CIA DENIES SECRET PRISON***
Apparently the CIA Annex in Benghazi had taken several Libyan militants as prisoners, according to Paul Broadwell at a University of Denver speech on October 26. She said that while it’s still being vetted, the US government believes that is the reason for the attack that killed our Ambassador, 2 CIA officers and former Navy SEALs, and one State Department officer.
Broadwell confirmed in her speech that the CIA officers in Benghazi had called for backup and were requesting a Delta Force group called the “Commander in Chief’s In Extremis Force”. She said they could have come and reinforced the consulate. She didn’t give a reason as to why they didn’t, but did indicate that there had been a ‘failure in the system’. She says that Petraeus knew all of this within 24 hours of the attack but wasn’t allowed to talk to the press.
Watch the video clip from her University of Denver speech and read the report below:
ISRAEL NATIONAL NEWS – Military expert Paula Broadwell, who was allegedly improperly involved with resigned CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus, confirmed in October that the CIA annex in Benghazi asked for reinforcements when the consulate came under attack on September 11. She also acknowledged that “there was a failure in the system.”
Broadwell was speaking at her alma mater, the University of Denver, on October 26. Her lecture, which is on YouTube under the title “Alumni Symposium 2012 Paula Broadwell,” now has added value, because based on the recent disclosures, it can now be assumed that she indeed knew exactly what it was that Petraeus knew about the attack.
Broadwell confirmed the reports on Fox News that the CIA annex asked for a special unit, the Commander in Chief’s In Extremis Force, to come and assist it. She also said that the force could indeed have reinforced the consulate, and that Petraeus knew all of this, but was not allowed to talk to the press because of his position in the CIA.
“The challenge has been the fog of war, and the greater challenge is that it’s political hunting season, and so this whole thing has been turned into a very political sort of arena, if you will,” she said. “The fact that came out today is that the ground forces there at the CIA annex, which is different from the consulate, were requesting reinforcements.
“They were requesting the – it’s called the C-in-C’s In Extremis Force – a group of Delta Force operators, our very, most talented guys we have in the military. They could have come and reinforced the consulate and the CIA annex. Now, I don’t know if a lot of you have heard this but the CIA annex had actually taken a couple of Libyan militia members prisoner, and they think that the attack on the consulate was an attempt to get these prisoners back. It’s still being vetted.
“The challenging thing for Gen. Petraeus is that in his new position, he’s not allowed to communicate with the press. So he’s known all of this – they had correspondence with the CIA station chief in Libya, within 24 hours they kind of knew what was happening.”
UPDATE: The CIA has come out adamantly denying Broadwell’s claim that they had prisoners at the CIA annex in Benghazi:
DAILY CALLER – The Central Intelligence Agency denied charges Sunday that its annex in Benghazi, Libya secretly held a few jihadi prisoners until it was destroyed in the Sept. 11, 2012 attack. Paula Broadwell, the girlfriend then-CIA chief Gen. David Petraeus, made that claim during an Oct. 26 speech in Denver, Colo.
An agency spokesperson told The Daily Beast that “[t]he CIA has not had detention authority since January 2009, when Executive Order 13491 was issued. Any suggestion that the Agency is still in the detention business is uninformed and baseless.”
One possible explanation, The Daily Beast wrote, is that Broadwell was confused about a report she had heard that day on the Fox News Channel.
“According to a source on the ground at the time of the attack,” Fox News’ Jennifer Griffin reported Oct. 26, “the team inside the CIA annex had captured three Libyan attackers and was forced to hand them over to the Libyans. U.S. officials do not know what happened to those three attackers and whether they were released by the Libyan forces.”