The police in Chicago have now released the two Nigerian brother who were arrested earlier this week, and they are citing new evidence:
ASSOCIATED PRESS – Chicago police say they have released two Nigerian brothers who had been arrested earlier in the week on suspicion of assaulting “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett, saying that detectives have additional investigative work to complete.
The men were picked up by police Wednesday at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport and their apartment was searched Thursday. They were questioned Friday but police were obliged to release them if they had not been charged within 48 hours.
Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tweeted: “Due to new evidence as a result of today’s interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charges.”
Here’s the tweet:
Case Update: Due to new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete. pic.twitter.com/Hswn1Qjgcy
— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) February 16, 2019
Earlier today Police said the two were arrested on the suspicion of assault and battery:
Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi also says the suspects were arrested on suspicion of assault and battery. He says department policy prohibits him from naming the victim but says that he can say the two Nigerian brothers were arrested in connection with the case involving the ”‘Empire’ cast member.”
Well that’s an interesting twist. This Smollett investigation seems to be full of them.