Reuters did a terrible job in their write-up on this ‘Green New Deal’ being proposed by Democrats today.
They don’t even come close to telling the truth about the disaster this would really mean for the economy:
Rising Democratic star Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Democratic Senator Ed Markey on Thursday laid out the goals of a Green New Deal to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions in 10 years, setting a high bar for Democrats who plan to make climate change a central issue in the 2020 presidential race.
The non-binding resolution outlines several goals for the United States to meet in 10 years, including meeting 100 percent of power demand from zero-emissions energy sources.
It also calls for new projects to modernize U.S. transportation infrastructure, de-carbonize the manufacturing and agricultural sectors, make buildings and homes more energy efficient and increase land preservation.
Zero-emission energy, more energy efficient homes and buildings…well that doesn’t sound so bad does it? Who wouldn’t want that?
They don’t mention that this would mean the end of cheap fossil fuels – oil, gas, coal – which is what powers the entire world. It’s insane!
So forget Reuters. Here’s the truth about just how destructive this ‘Green New Deal’ would be, via the Federalist:
While some of the specifics need to be ironed out, the plan’s authors assure that this “massive transformation of our society” needs some “clear goals and a timeline.” The timeline is ten years. Here are some of the goals:
- Ban affordable energy. GND calls for the elimination of all fossil fuel energy production, the lifeblood of American industry and life, which includes not only all oil but also natural gas — one of the cheapest sources of American energy, and one of the reasons the United States has been able to lead the world in carbon-emissions reduction.
- Eliminate nuclear energy. The GND also calls for eliminating all nuclear power, one of the only productive and somewhat affordable “clean” energy sources available to us, in 11 years. This move would purge around 20 percent of American energy production so you can rely on intermittent wind for your energy needs.
- Ban cars. To be fair, under the GND, everyone will need to retrofit their cars with Flintstones-style foot holes or pedals for cycling. Cortez clearly says that GND would like to replace every “combustion-engine vehicle” — trucks, airplanes, boats, and 99 percent of cars — within ten years. Charging stations for electric vehicles will be built “everywhere,” though how power plants will provide the energy needed to charge them is a mystery.
- Gut and rebuild every building in America. Cortez wants to “retrofit every building in America” with “state of the art energy efficiency.” I repeat, “every building in America.” That includes every home, factory, and apartment building, which will all need, for starters, to have their entire working heating and cooling systems ripped out and replaced with…well, with whatever technology Democrats are going invent in their committee hearings, I guess.
- Eliminate air travel. GND calls for building out “highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary.” Good luck Hawaii! California’s high-speed boondoggle is already in $100 billion dollars of debt, and looks to be one of the state’s biggest fiscal disasters ever. Amtrak runs billions of dollars in the red (though, as we’ll see, trains will also be phased out). Imagine growing that business model out to every state in America?
- A government-guaranteed job. The bill promises the United States government will provide every single American with a job that includes a “family-sustaining wage, family and medical leave, vacations, and a pension.” You can imagine that those left in the private sector would be funding these through some unspecified “massive” taxation. On the bright side, when you’re foraging for food, your savings will be worthless.
That’s not even all of their bullet points, but it’s enough.
Do you know how many people would die transitioning to this kind of socialist ‘green’ economy? It’s not just green because it’s environment friendly, it’s green because it would take a lot of GREEN to afford it!
“A government guaranteed job”? They are also promising “safe, affordable housing” and “economic security” for all Americans. This is Soviet Union level absurdity here.
Let’s call a spade a spade. This isn’t a ‘green’ new deal. This is a ‘green jihad’! Because it would target the most vulnerable among us. Sound familiar?