UPDATE 2: British cameraman for Sky News shot dead while reporting on Egypt bloodbath as protesters say as many as 149 have been killed.
UPDATE: The WSJ reports the death toll is now at 95 with almost 900 injured:
The Ministry of Health raised the toll to 95 killed and 874 injured in violence in Cairo and elsewhere as the president declared a state of emergency across the country, giving the armed forces responsibility for “taking all measures to protect public and private property and the lives of citizens,” according to a statement read on state television.
This is really bad news for Egypt. The Muslim Brotherhood wants this deadly confrontation so that they can get the people and the world on their side, and they don’t mind dying for their cause to do it. As it stands now, Fox News has on their front page the death toll in the clashes is now at 56 but there are many, many more injured:
At least 56 people killed in clashes between Muslim Brotherhood backers of former President Morsi and security forces across Egypt, while police in riot gear bulldoze two protest camps in Cairo.
FOX NEWS – Egyptian security forces in riot gear swept in with armored vehicles and bulldozers to clear two protest camps in Cairo Wednesday, igniting clashes with pro-Morsi supporters as violence flared across Egypt, leaving more than 50 people dead and hundreds injured.
Khaled el-Khateeb, an Egyptian Health Ministry official, told the Associated Press that clashes between Morsi protesters and security forces killed at least 28 people in Cairo, 25 in Minya province south of the capital and one each in the cities of Alexandria, Assiut and Ban Suef. Sky News also said that Mick Deane, a cameraman, was among the dead.
The camps cleared Wednesday had been the catalyst of protests since former President Mohammed Morsi was overthrown by the Egypt’s military on July 3, with thousands calling for his reinstatement.
The Muslim Brotherhood’s political arm, which backs Morsi, claimed that more than 500 protesters were killed and some 9,000 wounded in the two camps, but those figures could not be confirmed and nothing in Associated Press footage or local TV networks suggested such a high death toll.
Mohammed el-Beltagy, a senior Brotherhood leader, put the death toll at more than 300 and called on the police and army troops to mutiny against their commanders and on Egyptians to take to the streets to show their disapproval of Wednesday’s raids on the sit-ins.
Here’s video of one witness claiming there was gunfire coming from both sides, the Egyptian Army and the Muslim Brotherhood:
Below is just raw video shot in Egypt this morning: